WHAT TO EXPECT: BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER GIVING BLOOD?
Plasma donation: what to expect?
Plasma donation: what happens after?
Before the donation
- Drink at least 500 ml of water or juice (before and during donation)
- Make sure to eat well while avoiding fatty foods (e.g., cheese, fried foods, etc.)
- You must feel well on the day of the donation
After the donation
- Rest and drink enough fluids to replace the liquid that has been lost
- Exert pressure at the puncture site for about five minutes to stop the bleeding
- Keep the bandage covering the puncture site in place for six hours
- Avoid any intense physical activity for six to eight hours
- In the event of weakness: sit down and place your head between your knees or lie down and rest for a few minutes. Depending on the nature of your work or the sport you practice, you may need an additionnal rest period before returning to your activities (bus driver, heavy equipment operator, etc.)
What you need to know...
- The collection process lasts approximately 45 minutes.
- The volume of plasma collected (455 ml, 500 ml, 625 ml, 750 ml or 800 ml) depends on the donor's weight and size. This quantity corresponds to less than 18% of the donor's estimated blood volume.
- For collections greater than 500 ml, a solute is given to the donor during the procedure to ensure maximum comfort.
- At the time of the donation, an anticoagulant is added to the blood to prevent it from clotting once it is outside the donor's body. A portion of this substance is returned to the donor with the components that are not collected.
- In order to prevent collecting from a donor whose protein levels have declined following repeated apheresis donations, the donor's protein levels must be measured for every donation and frequent donors must have their protein levels checked every four months. If the level is lower than the acceptable limit, the donor is prohibited from donating for a period of 30 days or more.
JOIN AS A PLASMA DONOR
Once we have received your completed registration form, we will contact you to invite you to make a plasma donation, according to your availability.
TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
|GLOBULE QUÉBEC (Sainte-Foy or quartier Lebourgneuf):||1-800-343-7264 or |
|PLASMAVIE SAGUENAY:||1-800-343-7264 or |
|PLASMAVIE TROIS-RIVIÈRES:||1-888-666-HEMA (4362), ext. 5408|